Kangaroo Island Facts
Facts about Australia's third-largest island.
Kangaroo Island is an island off the South Australian coast and the third largest island off the Australian coast. The island is pretty impressive close up and boasts intriguing statistics. Here are some facts on Kangaroo Island:
Where is Kangaroo Island?
- Fact: Kangaroo Island is approximately 110km south of Adelaide, the capital city of South Australia.
- Fact: Kangaroo Island is approximately the same latitude as Canberra, the capital of Australia.
- Fact: Kangaroo Island is seven times the size of Singapore.
- Fact: Kangaroo Island is separated from Yorke Peninsula to the north-west by Investigator Strait.
- Fact: Kangaroo Island is separated fromm Fleurieu Peninsula to the north-east by Backstairs Passage.
How big is Kangaroo Island?
- Fact: Kangaroo Island is Australia's third-largest island, after Tasmania and Melville Island.
- Fact: Kangaroo Island is approximately 4,405 km square (1,701 sq square miles) in area.
- Fact: Kangaroo Island has 509 km (318.2 miles) coastline.
- Fact: Kangaroo Island is 150 km (93 miles) long, from east to west.
- Fact: Kangaroo Island is 57 km (35 miles) at its widest point and is 1 km (0.6 miles) at its narrowest point.
- Fact: Kangaroo Island has roughly 1600 km (1000 miles) of sealed and unsealed roads.
- Fact: Kangaroo Island has a population of about 4417 (2011 Census).
- Fact: Kangaroo Island's highest point is Mount McDonnell at 299 metres (981 feet) above sea level.
Kangaroo Island Towns
There are four main towns on Kangaroo Island:
- Kingscote: Kingscote is biggest town on the island, about an hours drive from Penneshaw. The only airport on Kangaroo Island is also at Kingscote.
- Penneshaw: Penneshaw is at the east of the island, where the ferries arrive.
- Parndana: Parndana in the centre of the island and serving the farming community.
- American River: American River is a small community that is actually on a bay not a river, between Kingscote and Penneshaw.
Kangaroo Island Visitor Centre
10 Troubridge Rd, Kingscote
Kangaroo Island, South Australia
Telephone: (08) 8553 2657
Tourism Kangaroo Island
PO Box 336VG, Penneshaw
Kangaroo Island, South Australia 5222, Australia
Telephone (08) 8553 1185.